Hmm... does that gentleman in Utah have the initials LS? Might have dealt with him myself. I have about 5 years of fencing in my background.

Kinves and blades are a pretty constant theme in Heinlein. Oscar Gordon in Glory Road springs to mind, with the Lady Vivamus, but I remember, offhand, references in The Star Beast and a lot in... was it "Orphans of the Sky"? The multi-generational starship book, where they had lost the knowledge that they were on a ship...

Still, "Tunnel" remains my favorite for all the "knife talk" as well.

See here infant, on this tour you are the rabbit, trying to escape the fox. You aren't the fox. One time in a hundred a gun might save your life; the other 99 it will just tempt you into folly. No doubt Matson or I would, but we are salted; we know when not to use one. That test area is going to be crawling with trigger-happy young squirts. If one shoots you, it won't matter that you have a gun too, because you will be dead.

I know how good a gun feels. It makes you bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, three meters tall and covered with hair. You're ready for anything and kind of hoping you'll find it. Which is exactly what's dangerous about it-- because you aren't anything of the sort. You are a feeble, hairless embryo, remarkably easy to kill. You could have an assault gun with two thousand meters precision range and isotope charges that could blow up a hill but you still wouldn't have eyes in the back of your head like a Janus bird or be able to see in the dark like the Thetis pygmies. Death can cuddle up on you from behind while you are drawing a bead on something in front.

Buddy, sometimes I send a girl out on an infiltration patrol, object" information--go out, find out, come back alive. How do you suppose I equip her?

In the first place I don't pick an eager young recruit; I send some unkillable old-timer. she peels down to her underwear, darkens her skin if it is not dark, and goes out bare-handed and bare-footed, without so much as a fly swatter. I have yet to lose a scout. Helpless and unprotected you do grow eyes in the back of your head and your nerve ends reach out and feel everything around you."