Originally Posted By: Eugene
I've been trying to decide about the scouts. I was in the cub scounts growing up and it was more crafts than anything else. There is a pack of the Royal Rangers associated with out church but seems they are mostly on the other side of the city with their activities. And my daughter wants to follow right beside my son with anything we do and some of the different scouting troops are segregated.

Realistically, how the program is run comes down to the leaders, parents and kids involved. I think the best thing to do would be to talk with the leaders of a given program to find out how they do things.

Additionally, in Canada, we have Program Standards that each group's programming is expected to meet or exceed. Finding out how a group plans on meeting these standards could be a good starting point. I don't know if the BSA or other national organizations have anything similar.

As for your daughter, in Canada all levels of Scouts are co-ed but I don't know what options exist elsewhere.