My kids have all been hiking with me since they were able to walk. I've carried the youngest on my shoulders for miles when she got tired of walking, but she still didn't want to leave. Each had there own little pack with some supplies. Nothing like we bring today, but at least a jacket, rain gear, flashlight and food.

Some people aren't raised that way, and I commend them for getting out and enjoying nature. Unfortunately, they were never taught the importance of being prepared for unexpected trouble. Its too bad more kids don't get involved with scouts, though sometimes that's a mixed bag, too (I've helped rescue more than one lost scout leader, the most recent this summer. He was shockingly unprepared). Many schools in my area are adding an adventure course to their curriculum to introduce kids to more outdoors activities. Sadly, they do not seem to be providing any preparedness training to the course.