So Hikermore - you saying I shouldn't have bothered getting that earthquake shelter built after watching 2012? :-) Seriously I haven't just watched the movie and started to panic, but the link in the movie to bats made me think of the local Hendra virus and, as we all do on here, I want to get better educated and prepared for whatever life might throw at me.

Thanks for all the replies folks. Its good to know that the N95 masks I was planning on getting as smoke protection could help (if used properly). If you have any links to a good procedure for their use I would appreciate it, I did find this http://www.health.gov.au/internet/panflu/publishing.nsf/Content/64A8272B09D4D5D4CA25781E000F0A8B/$File/DVD_Script_Final%2029-1-07.pdf

As I always find by reading this site, its mainly not the gear you have but the knowledge in how to use it thats key. This enables you to improvise when gear isn't available.

I certainly won't be putting a pandemic at the top of my 'threat' list right now, but I will buy a bigger box of masks than I was intending.