I know there have been a few discussions around here about emergency kits for kids, but I thought I'd share one I just put together for a group of Cubs (ages approximately 7 - 10).

The kit was built to go along with a hug-a-tree level of training & knowledge. To this end, I really saw three categories of needs the kit should try to meet; signalling, shelter, comfort (psychologically speaking).

Here is the kit as put together in a zip-lock bag:

And here are the contents all spread out:

It worked out to about $10.50 per kit to make 20 kits. The contents are:
  • a Fox-40 whistle
  • an MEC Turtle light
  • an orange garbage bag with a pre-cut face hole
  • 5 band-aids
  • ~8 feet of duck tape
  • ~7.5 feet of florescent pink, reflective flagging tape
  • a fruit snack
  • a laminated instruction card

The instruction car reads:

Once you think you are lost, hug-a-tree
By staying in one place you are easier for us to find.

Your family will NOT be angry with you
Even adults get lost sometimes - so don't worry. No one will be angry.

Call for help with your whistle
Your whistle is louder than your voice and is easier to use for a long time. Blow your whistle 3 times in a row, wait a little while then blow 3 more times. Keep doing this!

Make yourself seen
Put colourful tape or other colourful & shiny items in the trees around you. Take out your garbage bag and either wear it or put it where it can be seen. These colours are not natural and will help get our attention. If you hear a helicopter wave your arms or a brightly coloured bag or coat. You can also use a mirror to get a helicopter's attention.

Stay warm
Cover up as best as you can, pull your hands into your jacket, pull up your hood, use any extra clothes you have. If it rains or is just cold, use your garbage bag like a rain coat (make a hole for your face and put the garbage bag over your head). Don't sit directly on the ground, sit on your garbage bag or something else.

Animals are afraid of humans 
If you hear a noise at night, blow your whistle or yell at it! If it is an animal it will run away and if it is a searcher you will be found!

You have hundreds of friends looking for you
Searchers will be calling your name - they are NOT angry, they just want to find you! Even if you don't know them, lots of people will be helping us find you - even people you haven't met before. Don't be afraid to let them know where you are!

These instructions were inspired and partially taken from the RCMP's hug-a-tree info with some other information mixed in, including some from a presentation the local SAR group gave to the kids last year.

We gave these out at camp as the reward for completing a scavenger hunt and then had a session on how to use the kit and what to do when lost.

All in all, I think things came together pretty well.