Originally Posted By: clearwater
...A bit misleading. Most hunting rounds shot at hunting angles,
will hit the ground in well under a mile. A 30-06 round
sighted in for max point blank range and shot at the level
will hit the dirt by 600 yards....

By max point blank range, I'm assuming you're talking about a 200 yard zero and over level ground? There have been too many stories in the newspapers about bullets "threading the needle" and hitting a bystander out of sight of the hunter to take the 600 yard limit as an absolute.

I prefer earth tones and generally avoid day-glo colors. The exceptions are emergency equipment and overnight gear needs to be brightly colored. In an area I'm sharing with hunters, i'll wear something bright.

For archery only areas bright colors aren't really required, but still falls under the head of "Not a bad idea". Bowhunters have a very low accident rate. It’s probably due to the very limited range of their equipment making misidentification less likely. For shotgun only areas, bright colors are mandatory. Shotgunners have the worst accident rate by far with "swinging on game" and "failure to identify target" as the leading causes. Stay out of the woods on opening day.

http://www.ihea.com/news-and-events/incident-reports/index.php

Free hunters ed online course. I took it for snorts and giggles a while back. Most of it was review (I'm an archer), but the gun safety section surprised me IRT the thoroughness of the measures that it taught (e.g. to cross a fence, unload gun, place on ground facing along fence, climb over fence, retrieve gun, reload, engage safety). It's worth a look by anybody sharing woods with hunters.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane