Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
in other words, i'm wondering why you need to have so much perishable "stuff" on hand, that then requires expensive generators & fuel to protect it once the power goes out?

Some people need refrigerated medicine to survive. I'm glad to say that this isn't an issue we have.

What we do have is three kids who consume a lot of dairy. As a family we eat a lot of beef, pork and poultry. I really don't want to go to the grocery every day or every other day. In addition to the time efficiency of limiting my grocery trips, there's also the economic efficiency of buying larger quantities at Costco.

I just bought a generator; it's so new that I haven't even started it yet. Tomorrow will be Generator Test and Break In Day.

While I wouldn't turn up my nose at keeping my refrigerator or freezer working, the main reason I bought it is to keep my house from flooding. During the Spring and Summer, if we have a big storm with a lot of rain and the power goes out, I'll plug the sump pumps into the generator. During the Winter, I'll be able to supply the furnace with juice to keep the pipes from freezing, at least if the natural gas doesn't go out.

thnx for the insights CS. i've always valued your comments.

i wasn't including medicine refrigeration in my question, that's a necessity and a given. and i suspect a tiny propane RV frig (that uses a 1/2 gallon fuel per day) could handle that problem.

and like everyone here, i too have a generator (a small honda eu2000i) for emergency back-up that would do perfectly for running little things a sump pump, lights and battery charging. on the ECO mode it can run 16 hours on a gallon.

but its the need for huge generators that i question, the ones that suck nearly a gallon a hour as suggested above. that just seems a bit out of balance to keep a box cold. and at today's fuel prices, that $100 in fuel per day.

i'm not slamming anyone here, just suggesting: less is more.