Originally Posted By: Susan
What might be more practical would be a course in dealing with the results of a widescale disaster, where everyone seems to need help.

In CERT training, we did receive some information on the psychological effects of disasters. The instructors that night were people who volunteer as...I forget what they called themselves, but get called out to accident and crime scenes to console traumatized victims and witnesses. Mostly like a primer on grief counseling actually.

Which was fine given the time we had. But a more comprehensive curriculum like mental health first aid sounds very useful both for everyday and disaster use. I mean, we use first aid even for the little "ouchies" as we do for the big "ouchies".

I'm going off on a different tangent here, but looking at that list of "5 key antecedents or 'psychological triggers' that have been shown to be associated with emotional, behavioral and cognitive reactions," I think all five conditions apply to incarcerated people and those people endure those stressors for years and years. Is it any wonder that the prison-industrial complex is the biggest buyer of psych meds?