"if push came to shove, I'd probably hope to start a fire with pine wood and then use the other woods to feed the fire."

Good plan. I was going to mention something on those lines, but you seem to have it all well in hand.

If I might make a modest suggestion for the voyage of discovery you've embarked on... make it a point, at some time in the future when conditions are right, the forecast is good, and you're comfortable with the idea, to spend a night or two outside... not just outside of buildings, but outside of tents. It can be a remarkable, liberating experience to watch the moon and stars with nothing between you and the sky, to listen to the night sounds of the forest, to wake up see the sun come up.

I'm not belittling the importance of tents or shelter, but as many times as they are necessary, there are still many times they are just a psychological crutch for those still fundamentally afraid of the outside at some deep level- as is huddling around a fire and making yourself night-blind, drowning out the sights, sounds and smells of the woods with those of the fire.

If you're at all doubtful about the weather, set up the tent as a retreat by all means.. but try it outside. You'll find you've taken a simple step that seems never to have occured to many self-proclaimed "outdoorsmen"... and if you become comfortable with the woods at night, you'll be that much more comfortable during the day.