Originally Posted By: RayW
But the special key is a rubber door stop to wedge the window open and a bent up welding wire that will reach in and grab the lock knob and allow it to be pulled up. Of course the whole time you are doing this the alarm is howling so ear plugs are not a bad idea either.

Many cars don't have knobs or buttons that can be easily manipulated with a coat hanger or wire. I've become pretty good at using the door stop and a coat hanger to retrieve the keys through the door, rather than work the locks.

Last winter my daughter locked her keys in the Grand Cherokee. Of course it was around 20*F and dark. I got there and called AAA to send someone out. But I managed to fish the keys out with a coat hanger before AAA arrived (less than 15 minutes).

Funniest thing was several months later we discovered that the rear hatch lock didn't work, probably came that way when we bought it (used). We could have just popped open the rear hatch and crawled inside to get the keys in a minute or less.

Of course the Wrangler is a whole 'nother story. Unless the hard top is on for the winter, a quick zip zip and I'm in through the soft top. Locking the doors -- when they're on -- is just a deterrent, and a weak one at that. Stupid thing is that most thieves cut the soft top to get in, either not realizing or not caring that unzipping is just as easy.