What are these doors and windows (and roof) things you speak of? I drive a Jeep Wrangler, and on good days I leave these items at home.

The reality is that EVERYTHING in my 2010 Wrangler is computer-controlled. Push the window-down button and it sends a signal to the computer, which looks to see if the door is connected, (because they can and frequently do come off), whether or not the window is already fully down, then starts the motor to lower the window. I've had situations where, due to dirt in the door connector, the windows were stubborn to operate because of poor computer communications.

What's really funny is watching me try to open the rear hatch when driving without doors. All the locks automatically engage when the Jeep hits 15MPH and then are supposed to disengage when a front door is opened. Of course, when doorless, the locks are never signaled to disengage. Not a problem for getting in or out, but the rear hatch stays locked. Of course I forget this until I'm trying to open the hatch, and then my first reaction is to go and hit the door unlock button, but of course that button is on the doors which are back at home. When doorless, the only way to unlock the hatch is with the key fob. Always good for a chuckle.

As for gear, I try to have the most critical items within easy reach at all times. Fortunately, there's enough room under the Jeep's front and rear seats to stash a great deal of stuff, and with a little creative use of velcro wraps and webbing, make it secure against becoming a deadly projectile in an accident.

Jumper cables, siphon, reflective vest, gloves, disposable ponchos and flares are in a soft case under the driver's seat, and a fire extinguisher in a quick-release bracket is attached to the driver's seat mount.

Emergency food ration bar and water packets, mylar blankets and chempak hand warmers are in another soft pouch under the passenger seat, along with a box of baby wipes.

Driver's door pocket has an LED flashlight and a multi-tool, which move to the center console when the doors are off. Passenger door has another flashlight and a first aid kit, both go in the glove box when doorless.

My GHB is strapped to the back of the driver's seat (used to be on the passenger seat, but I got tired of moving it to accommodate passengers). A second GHB with basics for passengers is under the rear seat, along with an umbrella, tarp and air compressor. I attach a collapsible snow shovel to the back of the rear seat, accessible from the rear seating area, during winter.

More stuff is in the back cargo area. Most of it is in bags attached to molle webbing that's mounted inside the rear hatch, so once I swing the hatch open, that stuff is easy to get at. Other items are in the under-floor compartment, and would take some unpacking if I was loaded-up for a trip.