Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
fyi - at times i also carry pocket kit containing a gerber stl 2.0, but having owned a half dozen of them, like most inexpensive folders, not all lock-up as they should, so i've ended up with bloody fingers. that is one of the prices to pay when giving up top-quality to save some money.

I'm just trying to think this through based on this brief description, but if I was ending up with bloody fingers from folders closing on me, I'd be thinking I was using the wrong tool for the job.

If I often needed to use lot of leverage, especially the type that could create downwards force on the back of the blade, I think I'd look for something other than a folder to carry with me. Depending on the specifics of the expected uses, I'd think a fixed blade, one of those County Comm breacher/pry bars, or even possibly a pier-based multi-tool would be better suited to handling these types of forces while greatly reducing my chance of self-inflicted injury.

Rather than paying for a very expensive folder with a 100% fail proof locking mechanism (assuming one exists), I'd personally be looking for a reasonably priced tool that was better suited to the task at hand.