My basement has been wonderfully dry since the installation, 2 years ago, of a "french drain". However, the whole system relies on a working sump pump, and my generator is manual start, not automatic, and there's no automatic in my future.

For a variety of reasons, I've rejected the small 12v backup systems, mostly because the second pump won't fit in my sump, but also because the pump I have is really efficient and fast and has had no trouble keeping up even in the crazy rains of this past September from the hurricane and tropical storm. It's a 1/3 HP pump, 120V.

So, I'm thinking about an inverter, and I'm not 100% sure I need a pure sine wave unit or not. Some places claim it's a "must have" and others have "modified sine wave" systems that seem to be designed for sump pump backup.

I do know that I want automatic cutover to battery power, so an Unintteruptible power supply system seems to be the optimal solution.

Anyway, I've googled until I'm dizzy, so I was wondering if anyone here had a setup with inverter backup for a 120v sump pump.