isn't it great we have those opinions?

over the last 50 years i've amassed knives ranging from $2 to $2000. each has their place.

i own super cheapies for use around the ranch (cutting baling twine or scraping battery terminals, for example), that can be broken/lost without crying, things like the superknife box-cutters. sometimes when i want "better" i might carry a $25-30 kershaw, either leek or chive.

my wife who spends all day horseback, likes the $50 gerber air ranger (designed by bill harsey). she has one clipped to her jean's pocket and another in the pocket of her chaps. in winter she prefers the larger spydie tenacious because its easy to open when wearing gloves.

yet when i head deep into the wilderness where replacements aren't an option, cost is of no concern. its what i can trust. in the last few years, this has been either the smaller sebbie, a 3" hinderer, or a baby terzuola, but most recently a couple of WH.

but yes, there are useful $50 knives, no doubt.

it all depends of what each person finds most important for their given situation. at either extreme is: saving bucks, or having what they consider the best. most fall somewhere in between. buyer's choice.

fyi - at times i also carry pocket kit containing a gerber stl 2.0, but having owned a half dozen of them, like most inexpensive folders, not all lock-up as they should, so i've ended up with bloody fingers. that is one of the prices to pay when giving up top-quality to save some money.

i suspect the lack of solid lock-up on low-cost folders is why Doug probably suggested the CRKT RSK-MK5 fixed blade knife for inclusion in Adventure Medical's Pocket Survival Pak Plus that i just purchased.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?product=233#