This might seem like a simple question but....

Part of my worst-case scenario of walking home (alone) a very long ways requires laying up for rest along the way.

Getting away from the road for this is important.

It's also possible that getting off the road for travel could be necessary. It may be that travel at night is the best way to go as it would keep me warm from activity during the coldest part of the day.

There are a lot of barbed wire fences to cross if travelling off-road or short-cutting road corners.

I have a little experience with these fences (mostly dis-used and unmaintained fences in NFS lands) but not enough to feel confident about dealing with them.

I understand that the best-case is to find a clean, dry large gap between the bottom strand the ground and wriggle underneath. (pack might have to go over separately though not always) This is least-risk of injury and minimal snagging.

Next best is if the fence is saggy and slack so that two strands can be spread so as to slip thru. This pretty much requires removing one's pack and placing it over the other side before spreading the wires and easing thru trying not to get hung up. But the tightest, best fences I've seen have a vertical twisted stiffener between posts that prevents spreading.

Then there is climbing the fence at the post hoping the wire you're standing on doesn't slip off?

Cutting the fence might get me shot and I don't want to carry the cutters to do it.

So- anybody got some advice based on lots of practice?