Usually, I have an uncanny ability to select the worst weather in the region - weeks in advance - to schedule my vacation, and this year was no exception. In addition to the 35' degree cold and constant heavy drizzle, punctuated by the occasional cloudburst and 30 MPH winds, I was spooked out of my original camping plans in the Superior National Forest by the massive Pagami Creek wildfire.

Forunatate to have a choice, I am just back from a week of camping in the Chippewa National Forest instead.

I go on one main solo camping trip each year, and I plan all year for it. This one was a little different. I brought along copious amounts of gear to 'test'. I could have outfitted an expedition with the stuff I brought this time. No doubt that a heater, a cot, an artic-weight sleeping bag, a folding lawnchair, LED lantern, and a bigger tent helped me to brave the bad weather, but it also increased my level of boredom, decreased my level of satisfaction with the trip, and as a special bonus, I gained two pounds. If you asked me why I feel this way, I probably couldn't explain it. It was almost like a hotel room, but with a muddy hallway and no TV.

I have a couple more short gear-heavy trips planned with companions, but this was my last solo of the year.

Next year, it's back to the basics..............the place where I once belonged.