Originally Posted By: Pete
.... If you look at the spread of options for risks - you can see why this is a difficult problem for FEMA. ..... How is FEMA supposed to cope with this kind of spread in risks?? That's a pretty tough assignment, and so is the plan for dealing with the after-effects.

Still, I think there are some things that could be done - that aren't necessarily being done right now. I will probably post these ideas in a separate thread soon.

Pete2

Yes it is a very tough problem, but I agree with you that much can be done.

One of my favorite quotes is from Dwight D. Eisenhower who was Supreme Commander for the Normandy Invasion during World War II, and later the 34th President of the United States. He said: "Plans are worthless, but planning is everything."

Emergencies will never happen exactly as you expect, therefore your plans will never be entirely right. However, having done the planning, you are in a much stronger position to respond to whatever has happened. You have evaluated your resources, and tried to fix areas where you are weak. It is usually much easier to modify an existing plan than to build one on the fly (under severe stress).