I see a philosophical difference here in the way some prepare. While I agree with PL on the PSK being a backup for other equipment in every planned situation I also find that there are often unplanned events that occur that are not life-threatening. The scenario described to start this thread wasn't life-threatening but to avoid using the PSK items they would have had to call for help getting off the island. I also carry a pocket FAK which I consider a backup to other expected / planned preparations. If I am at home I will have my pocket FAK (PFK) in my pocket (where it belongs and always resides) but I will go to the medicine chest to get a bandaid rather than invade my PFK. OTOH, If I am out for a walk I don't hesitate to invade my PFK for non-life threatening incidents. I don't reserve the bandages in the PFK for major bleeds but use them whenever I nick myself as well. Likewise the dramamine, tylenol, immodium etc that I carry there.

If I found myself suddenly stranded somewhere - that's what my PSK is for.

My EDC goes beyond my PSK and PFK. Because I cannot ( or will not) take the time to do a full risk analysis and planning session on the way out the door every morning I take the approach that my EDC should be sufficient for an overnight stay wherever I may be planning on going + outside in current weather. By always having this capability in my EDC I am far more prepared for anything than most. And I rarely if ever need to invade my PSK. The PSK is second backup to the other EDC items. But not everyone is willing to EDC 5 - 7 pounds of gear in a geeky vest. (or figure out how to transfer it all into a suit that still drapes well and doesn't look like you're packin' when you go out stylin - this is doubly hard for folks wearing dresses and skirts.)

So.... in the scenario given, I wouldn't have carried anything more than my EDC + a Personal Flotation Device (PFD) for the trip accross the stream to my friends campsite for dinner - fully expecting to get a ride back to allow me to go home for the night. Once finding myself stranded I would have strung up my poncho tarp (5'X8' of silnylon poncho from campmor), layed down a ground-cloth of trash bag, curled comfortably into my space - bag and brought out my head-lamp (Photon II with velcro hooks stuck to the back for adhereing to available wool, fleece, velcro or other knappy fabric) and my portable magnetic chess set and had a nice game with my friend whilst sharing a decent cigar. All of this out of my EDC without invading the PSK. If there had been a need for busting up some kindling or up-to wrist sized firewood I would have been able to accomplish that with my Leatherman Wave. If my friend had no interest in chess there would have been cosmic-wimout dice to use or a book of budist philosophy to pass the time individually if I couldn't sleep.

Yes, All of this and more is in my EDC Vest. I have a wool one for all but the hottest months and a nylon one for the heat of july and august.

If I am in the house or car or office and need any supplies I don't reach immediatly into my vest but rather check the supplies there since my vest should only be a first backup to the supplies presumed in any civilized structure.

If I am planning on taking a hike or intentionally going somewhere I will be expecting an increased potential of overnighting outside then I will take along much more stuff and the Vest is relegated to first backup to the planned gear.