I have a few of the liquid parafin candles I referenced. They don't compare to a lantern, they are simply candles and should be compared as such. The container they are in are plastic. They can drop and be just fine. If you abused it, I'm sure the top could pop off and create quite a mess. But do the same thing with a wax candle and it will break/crack/smush.

I've purchased via http://www.beprepared.com (Emergency Essentials) before and they are trustworthy. I've always had good experiences anyway.

I've always wondered what the freezing point of liquid paraffin is. If you can find out, let me know. Here are a few details.

Someone mentioned putting these in glass containers to house them. I think the idea of a container is a good one. It would protect the flame from wind and bystandards from burn. Glass would permit more light to escape, but it can also break. In the context of a car winter survival kit to provide warmth and light, I would recommend a tin can. It does block some of the light, but if you are in a car wreck or your gear bag gets smashed undersomething else, there is less/no broken glass to deal with. For use in a home, glass may be preferable.