Quote:
I have been carrying my emergency crowbar in the back of my Jeep. So I was wondering in my mind if the safety hoods mentioned in this thread might have a chance of withstanding strong heating from a fire for about 30-45 secs ... just long enough to smash a back window of a burning car and extract a child. Seems like it would be a long shot - but it's worth contemplating.

Generally, when one sees that some article is fire resistant; it is referring to flammability resistance, not thermal protection. Even Nomex, PBI and other synthetics that are used in protective fire gear, offer minimal thermal protection. These synthetics provide flash protection, in that they will not melt to the skin. Thermal protection comes in the form of these and other synthetics being layered with a degree of thickness.

Turnouts or structural fire fighting gear have two components; the outer jacket/pants are fire resistant and generally have a water proof barrier to provide flash protection and provide a barrier to liquid (water). Then there is then a thicker quilted or fuzzy layer to provide thermal protection.

For protection to the head, firefighters wear a hood made from Nomex, PBI or other fire resistant material, this combined with the ear flaps on the helmet provide a degree of heat protection. However, it is still possible to get burned directly from the heat or from steam generated from water vapor. Ears are especially prone to getting burned.

Despite the thermal protection, due to sweat buildup, wherever there are straps (from SCBA) there exists the potential for getting steam burns.

My best guess is any thermal protection provided by fire resistant hoods used on these escape systems is minimal at best.

Pete