Quote:
I must be missing something. I just do not understand how a compass is so difficult to use.

Its not difficult to use, the trouble lies with the confusion that Mag North (the direction the compass needle points to, which itself moves in relation to the other Grid and True Geodetic Norths), Map Grid North (depends on the local map datum variation to the True Geodectic North) and True Geodetic North (which itself moves slightly due to the earth precession as it spins through space) all point in slightly different directions depending on where you are on the planet. (you can also have extremely large variations the nearer you get to 82.7°N 114.4°W in the Northern Hemisphere)

It's really all about taking actions to minimise and stop the build up of errors to stop folks heading over a cliff.

BTW you would be surprised how many folks don't know how many degrees or milliradians (derived angular military Mils) are in a complete circle. Some even use Grads for Navigation but these compasses are a little more difficult to find.

The US army manual I read back in the mid 1980s didn't know the difference between the different North's either, which was quite a shock because that made a 13-14 year old British Army Cadet a superior navigator than the majority of the folks in the US army at the time. wink

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/14/11 07:17 PM)