Originally Posted By: hikermor
The gist of this thread is that a hunter needs to take just about what anyone would take when venturing into the wild. everyone should tailor their load to the circumstances, the terrain, and the weather and make allowances for an inadvertent overnight stay.

+1. My daypack is identical whether I'm walking in the forest or hunting. Instead of a hiking stick, I carry a shotgun and ammo.

I always have 2 forms of fire and tinder, emergency shelter (mil poncho, double heatsheet...and the right hat, boots and clothes) signaling (mirror, 160 lumen light and extra batteries, whistle), two forms of safe water procurement and purification, a little food and tea, fish hooks and line, a small wilderness FAK, two knives, cell phone, map, wire, tape, 25" paracord, compass, stainless canteen and sierra cup, bandanas, small binoculars, Leatherman. Except for the clothing and Leatherman, it all fits in my Kelty Oriole.

I also have a separate beltloop paracord clip with fire striker, mini light, compass, SAK Classic, Fox whistle.