The village of Upper Black Eddy, PA, in Upper Bucks County, PA is along the Delaware River.

We've been getting a large number of floods lately:

In fact, in 2011, we've had 4 floods.

In fact, in all of the years from 2000-2009, we had 3 floods, and in 2010-2011 we've had (so far) 5 floods.

So, then, why when I submitted the report to Bucks County this morning was I sending in what was (possibly) the most boring flood impact report ever? Very little major damage. No casualties.

Preparedness.

I'm talking about really taking the task of being prepared for flooding seriously.

For example, how do you keep your furnace from flooding in the basement? You don't. You replace it with a Heat Pump on your roof:

If you can afford it, elevate your home like this one - the whole house was lifted and the garage below created in the space:

If you can't afford to lift the house, when you're rebuilding after a flood, change the way your home is insulated and paneled and floored - this home was restored to "live in" condition not long after the flood waters receded (the water came up higher overnight):

People knew to clear their yards of everything they could - no propane tanks, toys or lawn furnishings left out:

All in all, a community to be proud of. They love their riverfront, and while it's a shame to have so many floods, they are doing the right thing to make it work for them.