After the 1993 WTC bombing, our company provided each employee with an Xcaper Mask kit. The kit includes a pillow-like mask that is supposed to filter out dust, chemicals and harmful gasses, goggles with a foam gasket, LED keychain flashlight and a signal whistle on a lanyard in a pouch. The pouch can be attached to your arm, belt or bag strap (I keep mine on the shoulder strap for my messenger bag). Cost is $59. http://www.excaper.com.

The Xscaper mask is only good for 20-30 minutes. Assuming this gives you time to get out of the worst conditions but still need dust protection, something additional like an N95 respirator or mask would be needed. There is room in the Xscaper pouch and I've added a couple flat-folding N95 masks (as well as a few other small survival items).

I have an expired Xcaper kit and am going to try to fit a 3M P100 respirator in it for my daughter's kit at college.

When it comes to goggles I prefer something with a gasket so it can seal-out gasses and particles. Regular safety glasses/goggles are not sealed and it can quickly get hard to see in a fire as your eyes sting and tear from the toxic gasses produced.