The new aviation survival vest I have carries an Icom M72 radio (discussed earlier) and a small Garmin GPS in a clear vinyl dry bag -- that's my comm/nav system. An ACR ResQLink PLB is attached separately. One attached pouch is used to carry flashlights, chem lights and my laser flare.

I'm not about surviving and thriving at sea or on a desert island. I'm about being found and rescued in the shortest and most efficient manner. A PLB gets the SAR system activated, but as we know that can take time. If a ship is nearby and responds on channel 16 I can give them a lat-long from the GPS. If a Coast Guard helo responds, I can give him a bearing and range from one of the aviation navaids he will be using (navaids are programmed into the Garmin as waypoints).

In a modern day SS Minnow, the PLB would suffice, although I don't think coconuts would replace the lithium battery; it would void the warranty.

In Amelia's case, a portable HF radio with a good long wire antenna. In the 70's we had one that was hand-crank for electricity for use from a 12 man raft -- the AN/CRT-3 was not a new design, but I seriously doubt they were available in the 30's. Amelia only had the radio in her Electra and when it was pulled off the reef and sank, she had nothing.

Modern day Amelia -- PLB, GPS, Sat phone, bug repellent & sun tan lotion while you wait for help to arrive.

Edited by Russ (09/11/11 10:13 PM)
Edit Reason: content details added