Originally Posted By: Susan
You don't need to have a reel on your improvised fishing pole, just tie the line on the end. If you catch something, pull it in with your hands, or if you're on shore, just back up.

If you have just one reel of fishing line in your kit, and you attach the whole thing to your fishing pole, you could lose the whole thing if you dropped it (or a big fish pulled it out of your hands!)

As is often said, Plan for the Worst, Hope for the Best, and don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Kristina, I see that you are like me... hardware dept: "What ELSE could this be used for?"

Sue

Very true about the reel and the possibility of loosing line in this way. The eye hooks are my real interest. I have seen lots of makeshift survival fishing rigs. The hobo can. The pc pipe one. I think the eye hooks would help with the line. Your right no need for a reel and the cons out weight the pros to Not including the makeshift reel. But I still like a bobbin for storing the line in my PSK. The eye hooks serve as a way to make the process easier granted there are sticks too use. Feed it through and have a little extra line when tied to the end. It's not a perfect concept but even so the included eye hooks could be of use somewhere else. as well. This is just the first idea I came up with.