I was going to become pilot. After taking a few intriductory lesson, i decided not to. I also was going to be a paramedic/volenteer EMT, regardless of any other job that i do. I decided that I wanted to do research on this as a full time career. When I chatted to a family member about this, they looked at me and said "come on, you have the potential to be more than that." My dirty look initiated the response "umm, well, I mean, you know, I'm not saying anything about paramedics, I just think that you have the abilty to do much more and experience more opertunities...[mumble, mumble mumble]"

Frankly, that pissed me off. Now, if paramedics got paid the same as a docter, or Chartered accountant, or pilot, I wonder what her response would have been?

My question then is, is money as big an issue to a paramedic as this person seems to think? if so then how do you getting around that if you are determined to follow this career?

[I apologise for the rant. this person really hit a nerve today, and i'd like to find out from people who actually are involved in the emergency services. Grrrrrrr...]