Mark_R....even the refined 1-K kerosene has a bit of odor, but not objectionable (the FAQ on the Kirkman site does not recommend paraffin based lamp oils for the larger 7/8" wicks)..the Dietz lamps are designed to go out when tipped over (reduced oxygen)... I tried this and while the flame greatly reduced, a small flame remained...the light is not nearly as bright as a propane or Coleman fuel mantle lamp, but I always found the Coleman mantles fragile, and the lamps noisy in addition to producing a lot of heat, .. mantles also contain thorium which may be objectionable to some as it produces radon daughters... the light of the Air Pilot is listed at 14 candle power... the Little Wizard at 9 candle power...I have a pack of wicks for both sizes... during 04 the AP produced enough light to shave with...while I do have LED lanterns, I find something soothing about using the Dietz lanterns

for the boil order, I recently purchased a Sawyer .1 micron 5gal bucket filter kit (Adventure Safety Products), but have only tried it after initial installation, but it's my go to water filter, though I always have Clorox on hand..

Edited by LesSnyder (09/11/11 12:36 PM)