the start of our school year in Florida coincides with hurricane season, and if a convenient storm was not available, I gave two "paper" labs on hurricane preparedness... one on making a plan and identifying and locating important supplies around the home (with some tips)

the other was to design a 72hour "go bucket", based on (2) 5gal buckets... one for supplies, the second for food and water..if it couldn't fit in the bucket, it couldn't go...

the preliminary classroom prep was to introduce two decision making process... the first was to explain the OODA loop for time critical emergencies...the other we used throughout the year, and may be applicable for your task ...it was introduced to us probably 15 years ago at a district inservice, and you may be aware of it

decision making using...list, cluster, and label

(1)the user free thinks without any categorization... [list] on paper a series of events or scenarios.....eg. " what problems do you forsee if a CAT 3 hurricane comes on shore with a 12' storm surge ...in the context to your home?" ... ..around 20 responses makes a good starting point

(2)overview the entire list (I would do a composite list of the entire class), and group [cluster] problems of a similar nature...eg power outage, injury, water damage etc..

(3)draw lines to the paper margin from these identified similar problems, and [label] the best name you can to your cluster groups...these would be your core focus groups

I hope this is useful to you...

Edited by LesSnyder (09/10/11 08:49 PM)