I was going to post an inquiry to the tin foil thread about where to get extra heavy duty aluminum foil, but then someone mentioned titanium foil. Hmm, interesting, so I looked its pros and cons, and found this on <http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/titanium-foil-windscreen.html>:

Quote:
Advantages of Titanium Foil. Springy material rolls easily for better storage and more precise and even ventilation around the cookpot. Can be made thinner for far more strength and heat resistance than aluminum, and for far less weight than stainless steel foils.

Disadvantages of Titanium Foil. While titanium foil can be folded, it will not regain its shape after folding, and it cannot be "crushed."

The plot thickens!!! Now there is stainless steel foil??? whistle

A malleable metallic foil seems like such a basic and useful thing, that I propose to have a separate thread to honor this basic survival tool. (I was also thinking of upgrading from my basic heavy duty aluminum foil anyway.) So let's have a discussion: what kind of foil is best, and where can we get it?

Thus far, I see a few candidates:

1. Heavy duty aluminum foil. Recommended on ETS. You can get this at the bigger supermarkets.

2. Extra heavy duty aluminum foil. It seems available through professional kitchen supply stores at 100 yard lengths or some such industrial length. Costly at that price. I couldn't find a source for just 5 yards.

3. Titanium foil

4. Stainless steel foil

5. Kyptonite foil? Adamantium foil? Taking nominations.

So, does anyone have experience using any of this stuff?

Da Bing