Very timely topic, Sue.

Just an hour ago, a 6.7 earthquake hit about 300 KM west of here. So far no report of damage near the area. When the tremors hit here, I was just coming from the store and was in the middle of a small bridge off ramp. I felt the car handle very differently for a couple of seconds and knew from experience that this was a tremor. My first thoughts were to get off the ramp which occurred about 10 seconds later and by then the tremors were gone.

By time I arrived home about 10 minutes later, the earthquake was already on the radio and news websites here. people are mostly taking it in stride and were reporting shaking light fixtures etc and no damage. Due to the tremors occurring during lunch, some had extended lunch breaks until their respective work places gave the all clear report.

Getting back to your post. Around here, there are not many freeways as compared to Seattle and we do not have the lined barriers etc that you do. I have seen these freeways down there on the occasional trip for a NFL or MLB game and have often wondered what and how bad it would to be stuck there during a major disaster...

John Lubbock