Originally Posted By: Aussie
Good ideas.

I don't think the mini glow sticks throw much light, they are good as markers, but I don't think you could count on them for actual illumination.

I'm pretty keen on rescue for my kit, so fishing etc are not priority. I'd focus on fire and signalling:

mirror - you can cut down an existing perspex or glass mirror, sand the sharp corners.

mini whistle

mini-fire steel, or some wproof matches and striker or a Ranger Rick sparker or cut down a sparklite - you may need to trim the lengths to fit ?

Tinder - I'd go for something wproof again, like quiktinder etc or cotton wool with wax (rather than PJ which can be sticky)

Inspired by Eric, you could include a LED (ie just the "bulb" from as electronics shop) and a button battery to improvise a light, you couldn't get much smaller than that.

I agree with you about the glow stick now that more though has been put in it. When I first saw it I said to myself,"I would have never thought of that." A way to think outside the box. The plain LED bulb and battery seems so much more useful. The only problem I see is you would have to hold the bulb to the battery and that could become annoying unless there was something in the kit that could be used to fashion it together, maybe thread or tape? Any thoughts?