I just went backpacking in this area for the first time this past weekend. Saw the signs in the area. Very sad. Wish there could be some resolution. we camped out in a burn area about 100ft below Dry Diggins LO with a view down to trail 58 that cuts to the river.

Impressive information in this thread esp. Ponder who lived at the Sheep Creek Cabin for 5 years.

That said I have seen throughout this, multiple and conflicting reports about what was the destination for the day. There is the Sheep Creek Cabin and there is the McGaffee Cabin down just a ways from McGaffee Cow Camp. McGaffee Cabin seems like a much, much more plausible route for the day, but, perhaps I am wrong and they planned to do the monster miles. Seeing such conflicting information about which cabin is highly disconcerting--would think that can be nailed down with accuracy.

The mention that Todd was possibly going to use a short cut is interesting-I don't immediately see a short cut by going off trail for either destination. The topography doesn't speak to it one bit. The only 'short cut' I could see going from McGaffee Cow Camp to Sheep Creek Cabin would possibly to go down to McGaffee Cabin and then high north along the river (though I do not personally know the quality of the along the river trail..maybe that is not a viable option) but it would seem more straight forward than the jaunt with elevation gain and loss and traversing that is the alternative of getting on trails to Sheep Creek Cabin.

Hope some information is found before another winter comes.