Originally Posted By: hikermor
I hope you will be working when I need an AED. But you guys are pros, following an established routine in a familiar environment. Some hiker, having never encountered a snakebite before, is bitten out of the blue. i think it will take a while to even realize exactly what is going on. Then....Dp you have that snakebite thingy? I think so... Well get it! Uhhh...OK, how does it work? Where are you bitten? All accompanied by various alarms and excursions.... And you are probably wondering where Mr Snake is, and trying to avoid him......

I agree, and I do hate to be a downer. The first time someone gets bit, they'd probably spend the first two minutes wondering if they actually got bit and where the snake is. I think the only way the Sawyer device works is if someone has a habit of practicing pulling it out every time they feel a prick somewhere on their body. While that's possible, I don't imagine me ever being like that.

Originally Posted By: 7point82
Kind of like discussing the success rates of armed self defense for someone that buys a firearm and one box of 20 cartridges (because that's all they're EVER going to need) and throws it in their sock drawer versus the success rates for people who prepare mentally, get competent instruction & practice regularly. The value of the conclusions drawn could vary dramatically based upon which group you plan to be part of.

I had the same analogy in mind. If I were going into snake country, I may be motivated to practice with the Sawyer device. However, after a year or so of not getting bit, I'd probably forget all about it. I admit the weak link in the Sawyer device has got to be the operator.