Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Quote:
Sorry for the rant, but after 12 years of this I'm tired of this power company's failure to provide power we can depend on

Have you had the mains electricity power supply restored yet?

We lost our power 5:20 pm on Saturday. At that time, local winds were no more than about 35-40 mph, and then only in gusts. We got our power back about 7:30 pm last night. We also had sporadic outages of POTS and DSL which were out for the first 24 hours or so continually. I found out the the small substation serving our community was out of power, so the telephone company dragged in a portable generator and tried to keep it going (most of the time). As they didn't have anyone to tend it full time, a couple of times it ran out of gas, and service was out until someone could refill and start it again. But at least we had some service.

Cable TV was out until about 3 hours ago. If you had your internet through the cable, it was out also.

Cell phone service was out also. The local tower doesn't have any back-up power.

There are three roads that get you away from where we live; north, west and south. (To the east is the bay, and you need a boat.) At one point, all three roads were cut off by downed trees and/or wires. One road (northbound) was opened in a few hours. The other two were closed until about 1 pm yesterday. The difference was that if it is only a downed tree, the county could handle it by themselves, which they did. The others had downed trees wrapped in downed power & telcom cables. The police told me that if it were just telcom cables, the county would have cut away those without hesitation. But they cannot touch the tree when there are downed power cables, and they had to wait until the power company came to deal with their cables. Thus the long wait time for those 2 roads to open. The County police had to station an office full time at one intersection to keep traffic out. One LEO full time for almost 3 full days because the power company couldn't deal with a tree blocking one of the main roads into/out of Annapolis.

My automatic stand-by generator ran fine the whole time, keeping the critical circuits going, so, really, the lack of power was just an annoyance. The only scary part was when the POTS and cell phone was down, we lost access to 911; I had never considered that possibility and am now thinking what I can do. . .signal flares? flags? running down the street screaming "HELP" madly? wink

Walking around our community, about half of my neighbors had generators running, and some of those had cables strung to their neighbor.

And its early in the season and another one is brewing. Oh boy. eek