Hi, Widget,

I've seen the M1950 as well as the M1942. I think the M1942 is a little classier looking, but it's generally harder to find. Both are Coleman - US Army collaborations.

Something to be aware of: Unlike most Coleman stoves, the M1942 and M1950 do not have a "positive" NRV. The NRV (non-return valve) is what prevents pressure from coming back up the pump shaft. Most Coleman stoves have a safety feature that allows one to rotate the dial at the pump rod to the right to lock the pump rod in place. The M1942 and M1950 have no such lock. The NRV has a rubber "pip" down in the pump. That rubber pip is all that prevents pressure (and fuel!) from coming back up the shaft. If that pip has hardened, it could fail -- while you are using the stove. If you have a failure while using the stove, uh, that could be "bad." (think WWII style flamethrower)

Honestly, I've stayed away from these stoves for that very reason even though they're very cool stoves. If you get one, they can be used safely if you know how to tear down the pump and replace the "pip" in the NRV. Short of that, I'd say caveat emptor.

HJ

Attachments
M1950-M1942.jpg

Description: Coleman M1950 and M1942 stoves.