Nighthiker and Bacpacjac pretty much sum it up the best.

For us, camping and being prepared are one and the same. This does not matter if you are camping at a provincial or local state park or miles from the nearest civilization, there is a lot to be learned by simply camping that is easily applied in an urban setting. I would suspect that the recent hurricane/tropical storm that hit the US eastern starboard has a lot of people who have no power etc, using their camping gear and having their previously learned skills put to the test.

As for using camping to lure people into prepping, this not my style. I prefer to lure people into camping / hiking to learn about and enjoy the quiet peacefulness of the outdoors. This coming long weekend, we are taking my SO's 11 yr old niece on a 4 night / 5 day base camp and hiking trip where the nearest town will be 60 km away (35 miles.) Needless to say, niece is thrilled as her parents are not real outdoors people and this is her first time on a trip of this type. That to me, this is what it is all about...

John Lubbock