In terms of preparedness, Irene isn't overblown even if it is overblown. There is a rush to buy canned food, flashlights, batteries, etc. We preppers just might say, "What? Didn't they already have all that in their bug-in kit? I certainly do. Come to think of it, let me get on eBay and order the Swiss rocket stove. My Jetboil and my authentic German military Esbit could use a friend." Some non-prepping people need the stress of a big crisis to get them to prep up.

As for the the actual status of Irene, I'd like to see some informed critique of NOAA's scientific methodology before calling the hurricane "phony." Where did they fail? What was wrong with their measurements, and how did they arrive at the incorrect measurements? Was there some sort of checking system to verify the data? Until then, I wouldn't put stock in that stuff. We need to check the science (i.e., the facts) before speculating about politics.

Arney's observation about the amateurism of Weather Underground stations seems to me to be kind of important. Maybe the weather gurus among us could tell us where to get good information. (I myself have been relying on the National Weather Service. I hope that's good enough. I do think that when it comes to tornados, they tend to err on the side of caution. Better to hide in the bathroom than dead, I guess.)

As for the media, yeah, they need stuff to feed a 24-hour news cycle. That explains stupid stuff like "how hot is it" this past summer. Dude, I know what 105 degrees means, you don't have to show cooking a pizza on the sidewalk. And then eating it. That's disgusting.

I wish I could surf in that stormy water.

Da Bing