Well, we're out. DW and the kids left at about 10::30 this morning. I hit the road around 3, just before the mandatory evacuation was ordered for my area. Traffic was not terrible, so I feel good about leaving early.

I'm getting reports of gas stations running empty on SW Long Island. They're trying to evacuate everyone south of Merrick Road, for those who know the area. Long Island Railroad is running free right now, as is NYC transit. Most hospitals on LI are on diversion and evacuating patients.

I probably should have done better securing the house, but without a truck to transport plywood I was limited in my options. All outdoor items were moved into the garage, and I reminded the neighbors to do the same. I put sandbags at the doors when I left to try and keep out water.

Of course, "getting out" is relative. I'm in Brooklyn Heights at with family. Not ideal, but far better than my house which is two blocks from the beach, and just above sea level. I figure the house stays dry up to about six feet of surge at high tide. More than that and I'll be putting the flood insurance to work!

I'll post anything interesting that happens, and see if I can't get a photo or two of NY harbor during the storm. Wish us luck!