Originally Posted By: desolation
<snip>
Good luck to those of you in the path. If it were me, I'd grab the family, gear and go. Beat the rush, so to speak. If nothing substantial happens, call it a good test of your preparations for the next event!

Let me offer a bit of an alternative consideration. The news media will be going crazy over the next couple of days telling EVERYONE to evacuate. The problem is that some areas, such as NYC, simply cannot be evacuated. Make careful considerations as to your distance from the storm surge, the type of structure you are in, and whether or not you actually live in a mandatory evacuation zone. Evacuation is no picnic. Prepare for traffic the likes of which God has never seen, gas shortages, hotel room shortages, and general stupidity and paranoia among the evacuees. There will be traffic collision fatalities. Consider the potential for being stuck in a traffic jam when the storm comes through -- a real worse case scenario.

So the options are get out early or "bug in". I live in hurricane alley in Florida and my house has been through three Category 2 storms with me in it. I am still here and my house is still here. I elected to "bug in" with my generator, MREs stacked to the ceiling, and 55 gallon drums of potable water. Neighbors returned after the storm to very light damage with stories of running out of gas on the interstate and sleeping in their cars.

All I am saying is that evacuation is not always the best option. If you are subject to storm surge in your area or are in a mandatory evacuation zone, then you don't have an option, you must leave. But you might be helping out your fellow man by not being that extra car on the road or body in the hurricane shelter when you do not need to be.

YMMV.