Originally Posted By: LED
Great review as always Jim. Excellent stove! I can't understand why someone hasn't made an updated version?

It's funny, in the world of outdoor gear, what survives and what doesn't. One of the best modern cold weather gas stoves, the Coleman Xtreme (also the Xpert and Xpedition) has been discontinued. It's problem? I think it had a lot to do with a non-standard canister -- even though the canister was clearly superior. The Coleman Xtreme can operate at temperatures down to about -10F. Let's see a Pocket Rocket do that.

As for a modernized Hank Roberts type stove, it's an interesting idea. I think one could be made for half the weight with modern techniques. I'm not sure why no one has tried, since it really is a nice design. I love how the "clam shell" comes apart and becomes a base and a windscreen/pot support. The clam shell protects the stove, keeps everything in a tidy package, makes a very nice stable base, and provides much better wind protection than the typical gas stove has as well as a stable pot support.

HJ