Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I think I missed the haupia recipe. I was curious before the picture but now I need to try it. wink

I used this one (from <http://www.ochef.com/112.htm>):

Quote:
Ingredients:

4 cups coconut milk*
2-1/2 cups water
1-1/4 cups sugar
1 cup cornstarch

Instructions:

Combine the coconut milk and water. Stir until smooth. Add the sugar and cornstarch. Cook over low heat until thickened and shiny. If the haupia is grainy, you need to keep cooking the mixture because the fat in the coconut milk has not yet melted.

It's really simple. I prefer a little less sugar myself, and for the first try, what I made was close enough to the stuff I got in Hawaii. There are other variations. I suppose it's one of those things where every person has his own recipe. I read that Polynesian arrowroot starch is more traditional than corn starch, so that may be worth a try.

Yeah, I can totally see it: power outage, a raging storm outside, a mob gathering. But we calm sit by candle light/camping light/Surefire tactical light mounted on our Mossy 500, making haupia. The only thing is that it needs to chill, and without refrigeration it might take a while.

Come to think of it, that might not be a bad idea at all. The tea bag in survival kits focuses your energy on a task to calm you down and give you time to think. Haupia could serve the same purpose. The rest of the luau probably helps, too.

Next: how we can apply surfing to survival.

Da Bing