Originally Posted By: Denis
Originally Posted By: Nato7
If the Edmonton police make good on their original media release - we may very well see the upstanding citizen prosecuted for that very offence.

The worst possible outcome is for the courts to establish precedence and for that decision to spread throughout the rest of the country.

Hey, if we ever run into a situation even remotely like what's going on in NY I will definitely be concerned. However, I'm just not convinced that is going to happen up here.

I don't understand how you could be this smug. The opposite would make more sense if we think about the federal laws. As you know, the Canadian legal system has its foundation in the British common law system. This alone would make me nervous.

The U.S. fought a bloody revolution to get away from the British mindset. The U.S. Constitution includes the Second Amendment, which codifies the intent not to infringe on one highly important individual liberty. The right to keep and bear arms is a close relative to these knife laws.

NYC is an anomaly. With the right case facts and constitutional lawyers, NYC's nanny state laws can be turned around at least a little. With the help of the right lawmakers, NYC laws can be turned around a lot.