For me, the altoids tin represents represent a "survival-in-a-tin-can" magical talisman that has no place what so ever in my world. I was exposed to a flawed PSK concept at an early age - and instinctively disliked the idea that a few fishing hooks and a condom stuffed into an incredible tiny amount of space (altoids tin, or worse: Cheap "Rambo" survival knife copy) would somehow assume magical powers and prevent me from freezing to death.

My misinterpretation of the PSK concept doesn't fit the way I think, the way I pack or the way I organize my gear. Not then, not now.

Now, I've adapted and modified the PSK idea to fit my modus operandi. I now consider it a convenient way to carry some backup and emergency items that I would otherwise scatter all over my pockets (and forget the day I really need it). I never go anywhere interesting without it. Still, my clothing, my bivy bag and whatever else that is in my pack is more vital to my survival than the little Doug Ritter pouch that I've modified to my liking.

Somehow, the altoids tin still reminds me of the magical survival talisman concept...

Edited by MostlyHarmless (08/16/11 10:15 AM)