Wow, I had no idea you could get away carrying an ~6" knife in public here. I wouldn't try it, it is way more than you need for a handy *urban* (pocket) tool. He's lucky to get away with it, if the search had been legal the charge might have stuck. I know on the sporting Canadian forums 3.5-4" is the most usually recommended. Whether you're right or wrong, it can cost you a helluva lot in Canada to "prove" it, and who needs that. Plus it's far too easy nowadays for some busybiddy to call 911 and seriously disrupt your day...

The big prob IMO in Canada is concealment. Any potential "weapon" it may be legal to own and carry moves to an entirely different category when it's concealed and on your person. Like a 4" knife inside your waistband, maybe even your pocket. Or a cheap pellet pistol being carried to a field in a backpack (an actual local concealed weapons charge). No diff here if you commit a robbery with a water pistol or a real gun, same charge. IOW it's the circumstances and not the item that brings the charge, which is what you guys are saying.