Originally Posted By: hikermor
I have had good results with various versions of the military e-tool, but if you want something a bit fancier, Glock makes a fairly spiffy version.

I was given a Glock folding shovel about 25 years ago. It collects dust in my closet today. They do look spiffy, are compact, have a gadgety saw in the handle, and weigh considerably less than the US/West German metal folding variety. BUT... They are pricy and do not stand up to hard use. Because the pivot point lock is plastic, on hard, dry ground the metal shovel blade will pop out of the detent as you torque it. Or, the handle bends. Yes, they weigh more, but the collapsing US metal shovel (AMES), or the old West German wood handle E-tool - with the shovel and pick - are my choices in the field. Neither have ever let me down. I haven't tried the newer Gerber 'NATO' folding shovel because they street for $40+, and well, I'm cheap. And the 'Spetznaz Fighting Shovel'...? Please.

Never think an E-tool can completely replace a full size shovel. If you have ever tried to dig anything more than a slit latrine or fire pit with one, you know what I mean. It is, at best, a field expedient compromise between size and utility, to make sure that when you, the soldier, need to dig for your life you have something on you to dig with.

That said, I always carry one in my car. You never know.

.....CLIFF
(like, who else?)