I've been trying very hard to like the Ribz: It is innovative, cool and there seems to be a lot of thought going into the construction - and high quality (it seems). I really want do dig this product...

Analyzing my ACTUAL needs was a fun excercize and with some regret led to the conclusion that it's not for me. It was a fun excersize, though - so I'll give you an outline of the process:

First: This thing would never replace my backpack. I will always prefer a backpack to this contraption. But could it possibly be a useful addition to my backpack - to make things easy accessible and move the center of gravity closer to my center line?

In the cold season, easy access to mittens, my wool buff and my cap is paramount - those things go off and on every second as I regulate temperature. The reserved place for them is the big pockets of my goretex (equivalent) shell jacket, but getting into those can be a bit of a drag when wearing a big rucksack because the way the hip and sholder straps are positioned exactly over those pockets. In many ways, that jacket is my RIBZ equivalent: 2 small pockets at the chest, 2 big pockets at the hip. The big pocket of my jacket works well with small packs, sort of OK with my biggest daypack (55 litre) and hardly at all with my biggest pack (130 litre). A big (10 litre), deep pocket that clips to the shoulder straps would be great. The RIBZ contraption is probably over-engineered for this purpose, but I could live with that.

The other thing that the RIBS could hold is my water bottle. (I stay away from Camel packs for no particular reason, they are just are not my thing).

Other items that I really don't need it for:
My map: I already have a map case that hangs around my neck and one shoulder. My GPS: I have a (custom made) vinyl pouch for that, too. It clips nicely to my map case. (I live one mile from 2 really nice one-man business shoe repair shops, one of them accepts odd custom jobs for a reasonable price). Putting the map or GPS in a RIBZ vest would be less functional, not more.

Snack? There's plenty room for that in my jacket. And a bigger meal shall be enjoyed, not gurped down on the move (meaning: Remove pack, sit down).

Mobile phone? Goes into my cargo pocket (in a water proof pouch).

Yes, a RIBZ could hold what I consider bare-bones essentials for light and fast exploring and hiking. But the truth is - I wouldn't use RIBZ for that, I would use a small daypack or hip pack.

The only situation where I see the thing as a genuine improvement for me is together with my biggest backpack, holding my water bottle plus some more (camera, snack, tools) - and having room for my mittens, buff and cap when I start sweating. But then again - the west will probably interfere with my GPS+map case, and it will be a THIRD item that I have to put on and remove. And how often do I use my biggest pack for this kind of trip? It is mostly used for hauling stuff between the car and the wilderness cabin; I don't do long stretch winter tent trips all that often....

My conclusion: I will try to find or make a pouch for my right shoulder strap, big enough for my mittens and water bottle. Something that clips on and becomes integral to the pack. Especially on my biggest pack that would be a big improvement. But the RIBZ vest is not for me.