i have 20 years experience with either a load bearling vest (LBV) or the ALICE suspenders, belt and pouches (LBE). I can tell you that in the military you carry this for a reason, mainly ammunition and other readily available ordnance. It was always hot, uncomfortable and in the way of something. It is hard to adjust clothing, add/remove layers and did I mention it is hot?
Today's military carries ballistic vests, pouches for ammo and ordnance and puts the hydration on the back with a camelbak. It is still not comfortable and it is hot, hot and hotter.
I am completely with Jim, I use a small fanny pack in front to carry firelighter, tinder, a small light and a pocket knife. The rest of my gear is on my back in a good, comfortable pack. It can be hot too, but not nearly as uncomfortable as covering my chest and or stomach area.
Ribz for me is a silly gimmick and nothing more, sorry, not a fan. If they were the "way to go" there would be many more variations on the market. $65 closet filler.