I had a training on creating texts. The trainer had a good quote. "For understanding the text, one person has to do substantial work. Either the author or the reader."

Originally Posted By: NightHiker

It might bear remembering that we're on a global forum. Not every member is a native English speaker.

Towards that group it would be a special courtesy to at least try and add some structure to the text. Lack of punctuation and paragraphs may make it hard to read for native speakers. It makes it almost unreadable to those who are not.

...what might constitute poor or careless writing for one person may be the local standard for someone else. I would hope that those for whom English is a second language get an automatic pass but not all of them advertise the fact.

Structures, good grammar and good spelling are pretty widespread standards for writing. Occasional errors are normal and cannot be considered to be careless (after all that still is a forum and not a proofread paper). Not trying is careless and maybe even rude.

If there's anything 20 years of hopping around the world with the military taught me it's this - don't discount a person's knowledge, skills or abilities based on how easy they are to understand (no matter what the communication medium). Everybody has something valuable they can bring to the table, you can discount their contribution based on your inability to easily understand them if you want but that's your call.

You are right on this. However it is not only about advice that is given. It also is about posts that ask for some kind of advice. How are you going to give good advice if you donīt understand the request? Would you really take the time to repeatedly read a question only to understand it? Many people wont.