Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Let's face it: people who write poorly and carelessly don't deserve our attention. They are ignorant jerks who waste our time.

Dang Bing, that's kinda harsh.

It might bear remembering that we're on a global forum. Not every member is a native English speaker...

If there's anything 20 years of hopping around the world with the military taught me it's this - don't discount a person's knowledge, skills or abilities based on how easy they are to understand (no matter what the communication medium).

Good writing is not the same thing as good grammar or other conventional rules typically drilled in school. One cannot write well unless one has thought through the ideas. Often people who write poorly because they really do not have that much of an argument or insight to share. If they haven't worked out the ideas in their heads, they cannot explain them logically and coherently. Often, they are also not informed, and their internet posts reflect the strength of their emotion rather than the soundness of their conviction. A smattering of misspellings, occasionally run-on sentences, lack of grace, etc. can be overlooked if the author propounds a logical, well-thought-out argument full of facts and analysis. A writer can be dyslexic or a non-English speaker, but he/she can still think, right?

In this sense, good writing reflects your expertise. For some reason, people today seem to think that writing is just rhetoric or ornamental language. They can do without it. This belief is quite mistaken. If we find a piece of writing that is devoid of content or logic, do we call it good writing just because it has perfect grammar? This is absurd. The logical, persuasive presentation of ideas comes first. Of course, the presentation will be damaged by poor grammar, etc.

For examples of poor writing, one needs to go no further than Youtube or, in fact, most comments on news sites. Many comments exhibit base, vulgar, thoughtless, mean-spirited personalities, and I can only surmise that these personalities do indeed reflect the people in front of the computer. It is no surprise to me that the same comments tend to offend the rules of grammar, spelling, etc. These are inconsiderate people, and we are better off without them.

As for experience trumping expression, as a student you can only extend yourself so much to get the wisdom of the tongue-tied teacher. Language barrier aside, I am unconvinced that someone with the necessary experience cannot eventually find a good way to explain his ideas. If he does not have the courtesy to take a bit of time to think about what he wants to say and how he should say it, perhaps he shouldn't drop his stream of consciousness on readers who have the courtesy to read his posts.

Da Bing